As I was enjoying every moment of my house boat ride during my recent Kerala expedition, I happened to lay my hands on a notebook and a pen. Below is an excerpt of an attempt to 'colour my vision with words' at one such moment:
"I'm sitting on a wide armchair of the House-Boat that we had booked to cruise n muse over the Kerala Backwaters. It's early morning now, and the House-Boat is swaying gently in the lap of a huge lake. I can't spot the end of this water body from where I am perched, even though I'm straining my eyes to sight a breakthrough in this endless horizon in front of me. To my left is a vast bed of lotuses blooming in glee. To my right I can see two narrow canoe's rowing past me at a consistent speed of 10 km/hr. Some seagulls are soaring just above the water layer in search of prey. A crow is making an attempt to emulate them. A soft breeze is blowing over my face, as I try to distinguish between the various distinct sounds falling on my ear drums, - The chirping of the early birds, the soothing sound of the small waves hitting the hull of our boat, the faint roar of the engine of a distant motorboat. The sun is trying to penetrate through the milky-white clouds, as the water is reflecting its efforts. Strangely enough, the irregularity of the cloud positioning has created a pattern by itself in the light blue shimmering sky.
And yet again I have this ever familiar urge of just shrugging off my human limitations, and opening-up my (sleek) pair of wings. ..Yes, I do believe I can fly.. Yes, I do believe, that I can touch the sky." Labels: backwaters, houseboat, kerala |